Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bodybuilder Meal Frequency

The more I study nutrition the more I begin to think that the typical notion of needing to eat every 2-3 hours and thus get 6 meals per day isn't needed or even a good thing.

Things like Layne Norton's research on protein synthesis and the frequency of protein feedings and my experiences with fasting lead me to believe that the body just doesn't want to eat 6 meals a day.

The problem is, I'd have a very hard time eating just 3 or 4 meals a day and getting enough calories to grow. It's also somewhat tough psychologically when you've been eating 6x a day for a long time.

Over the course of the past 3-4 months, though, I've been taking 1 NOW Super Enzyme (digestive enzymes) with every meal and it's really made a profound difference in my ability to move some food. I also make sure to get a serving of a probiotic everday.

This has alleviated some of the problems associated with the recommended (but perhaps wrong) meal frequency typically seen in bodybuilders. I used to get bloated and uncomfortable very easily and while that's still there, it's much better. I also seem to be more energetic. This may have something to do with insulin's role in being a CNS depressant.

No comments: