Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Density of Foods in America

So I'm on a zero carb diet where I refeed every 3-4 days. On these days, I'm eating 1000g+ of carbohydrates with minimal fat and very controlled protein. As such, insulin is sky high all day so it doesn't really matter where the carbohydrates come from as long as they're low fat.

So I went out and got things like Fat Free Fig Newtons and Low Fat Pop Tarts.

The problem with that is it only takes about fig newtons to eat 100g of carbs.

I was ending up hungry on my high days!

My new favorite foods on these days are pretty much the typical bodybuilding foods now (rice cakes, oatmeal etc.)

Don't get me wrong, the fat free ice cream I've discovered is AMAZING.

But the point is it's no wonder America is fat and was still fat when the low fat craze in the 90's was going on. The get rid of the fat in pop tarts but then add more sugars to make up for it.

People don't have any clue just how much they're putting away.

I've talked to many people that have 4 or 5 pop tarts for breakfast and think nothing of it.

That's 160-200g of carbs (mostly from sugar) and 28-35g of fat (including trans fat).

Check out this bad boy:

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=BV273

How many customers (*coughVICTIMS*cough) do you think look up the nutrition facts before they go eat that?

Look into Volumetrics people!

No comments: