Saturday, February 14, 2009

Branching Out

I'm at a stage in my life where I feel like I've missed a lot of my high school and part of my college life being so dedicated to bodybuilding. Bodybuilding seems to be an older man's sport with most guys not reaching their peaks until about 30 years of age.

So I decided to take somewhat of a break from pure bodybuilding. Instead, I'm focusing my efforts in the gym on powerlifting.

But with my newfound time, I'm exploring new things. I've always heard that it's rewarding to force yourself to do things outside your comfort zone, things where the outcome is unknown. I'm not talking about mindless recreation for the sake of recreation, doing stuff solely for the sake of distracting yourself from your otherwise miserable life. I'm talking about continually opening your mind to new experiences so that it can continue to learn about life.

These are the things from which memories are made; these are the things that will make you smile when, inevitably, you're engaged in the occasional inescapable humdrumness of everyday life.

Do enough new things and you'll want to replay the video of your life over and over again in your mind.

It's like that US Navy commercial says "If you wrote a book about your life, would anyone want to read it?"

At least that's what I'm trying to accomplish right now. It may just be the most intimidating thing I've done.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: